One of my favorite sessions while at Convergence 2011 was “Getting More Out of Microsoft Dynamics® GP: 50 Tips in 50 minutes”. For this blog, I’d like to summarize 5 of those tips delivered by Mark Polino, Microsoft MVP Principal Consultant, and hope it helps you get the most out of your Microsoft Dynamics GP solution.
1. Transaction entries for dates: You can change dates with plus or minus signs making data entry quick and easy, saving you lots of time in the long run.
2. Leverage horizontal scroll arrows for long account numbers: For those of us with long general ledger (GL) account numbers, you can now see the full number with easy to use scroll arrows. Simple, yet critical tip in ensuring accuracy of your accounting data.
3. Speed inquiries with quick identification of intercompany transactions: In Microsoft Dynamics GP, an asterisk on a report means void. Another item is the pound or hash mark and this means it’s an intercompany transaction. So if the hash mark shows up next to a transaction, you can easily identify that it’s intercompany and then be able to drill down into more detail with a click of your mouse.
4. Control recurring batches by clearing GL amounts: Lots of folks use quick journals to help streamline transactions, but most cannot because you cannot set the controls you would like to. Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 has added recurring batches and the ability to clear them. When you view a batch, you can check a box that says clear recurring amounts. You can set it as a monthly template with passwords and any other controls that a quick journal doesn’t allow you to make.
5. Protect budget numbers by Locking the Budget: It’s easy to lock down your budget in Microsoft Dynamics GP. You open your budget, and click a lock button that is password protected. If you need to make changes, you need the password. This ensures your financial data is accurate and not changed by anyone who does not have access to do so.
These are just a few of our favorite things within Microsoft Dynamics GP. If you’re eager to learn more about how you can get the most out of Microsoft Dynamics GP, please let us know. We are here to help.
By Mark Goodson, President of BCG Systems, Inc. a leading Microsoft Dynamics GP Partner in Ohio, Georgia, and Tennessee